Wow! Thank you so much! The funny thing is- I may have heard it before but I still have insecurities and things I’m self conscious about so I appreciate your kind words. Believe me, they make a difference. =)
About my favorite stores, [sigh] that could be a completely separate entry as there are so many I love for such various reasons, I could write you a dissertation. Seriously. A dissertation with multiple volumes even. The truth is I don’t have just one favorite store per se, but I’ll gladly tell you the places I shop the most!
1. Vintage stores: The majority of my absolute favorite pieces in my closet come from vintage stores. I don’t believe in pants, so much of my retail arsenal is comprised of skirts and dresses. I have a natural affinity for feminine details and vintage stores are the best scratch for that little itch. Google ‘vintage stores’ in your area and read the customer reviews. Find out 1. Who is out there? 2. How is the customer service? 3. How is the selection? Once you identify your options, the fun kicks into high gear. Explore! Try on! Tailor! Repeat! And the rest, is sweet retail relief.
2. Thrift stores: Most people clump vintage and thrift stores together, however I don’t! They serve two completely different purposes to me. Also the two entities typically have completely different price points. Thrift stores are my favorite place to find 2 things: accessories and jackets. Thrift stores are the place to find unique pieces to merchandise your look so you don’t look like you robbed a mannequin. I always find really neat stuff.
3. JCrew: I’m a self-diagnosed JCrew addict. I have a problem. Seriously. 97% of my working wardrobe is from JCrew. It’s sick. I like JCrew for two reasons: 1. Basics selection 2. Merchandising ability. Most of the things I find in JCrew are classic cuts/silhouettes so I can really take liberties to play with color/patterns/prints. All of their pieces play well with others. I’m pretty content with the quality as well. Also, they have great sales if you’re patient.
4. Anthropologie: This is where my inner gypsy likes to spend her lazy days. Whenever I’m in the store, I always want to buy a echolalie or tampourine and just join a band. Is that insane? I like the effortlessness of Anthro. It’s always breezy and happy. [Not sure if those are the best ways to describe it, but it just feels right in the moment.] Also they have the best return policy in retail. Period.
5. Gap: ‘I don’t wear jeans, but when I do, I always wear Gap.’ I’m 5’3” and a tad bottom heavy. Gap offers affordable denim [usually under $60] for petite people, and I will always patron them for that. =)
6. Kate Spade: I consider Kate Spade my fortress of guilty pleasures and wishful thinking. I love their bright colors and quality fabrics. Their stuff is a little pricey, but always worth the investment!
8. Madewell: This might be a little incestuous because JCrew is on the list but I get most of my weekend wear from Madewell. They have the best wraps/cardigans and really fun patterns to mix with bold colors!
9. H&M: Honorable mention goes to H&M. We’re not lucky enough to have them in Tennessee, but whenever I get into even a 50 mile radius, I always make the stop! They have exceptionally trendy stuff for very reasonable prices. Also, another great place to find accessories and little knick knacks to kick your look up a notch or two.
Sorry for the long response, but I hope this helps! =)